Tuesday 2 October 2007

SHEFFIELD: Pensioner dies after an argument with yobs over a single cigarette

Pensioner dies after an argument with yobs over a single cigarette


Lewis Wiles: Died after an argument over a single cigarette


Pensioner Lewis Wiles died after an argument over a single cigarette.

The 80-year-old was working in his son's shop when he became involved in a row.

Two customers were arguing with the pensioner's son, newsagent Mick Wiles, because he refused to sell them single cigarettes from a packet of ten.

After 20 minutes the customers were still hurling abusive remarks at Mick and his father - but they left the shop.

The pensioner went outside and moments later he was found lying unconscious on the pavement.

He was rushed to Sheffield's Northern General Hospital but died later.

A 15-year-old boy and a 20-year-old man were arrested and later balied by police investigating the pensioner's death.

Mr Wiles, 80, was found outside Wiles Newsagents on Langsett Road, Hillsborough, Sheffield, at around 12.35pm on Friday.

Mick, 52, said: "It's stupid, it's madness, My father is dead all because of an argument over cigarettes.

"These two lads came in asking for single cigarettes. They wanted me to split up a packet but I told them I couldn't do it because it was against the law.

"They just wouldn't accept it and were arguing with me for about 20 minutes. I just kept saying to them that the law is the law and I couldn't open a pack and sell them as singles.

"My father helped me out regularly in the shop. He has only just arrived when all this happened. It was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"I don't know why my dad left the shop, maybe the lads were cheeky to him, I don't know, but he died over a pathetic and stupid argument.

"I suppose it's all to do with good old fashioned values. My father was from a generation where the young showed respect especially to older people but that's not the case any more.

"He was a quiet and decent man, I would describe him as a true gentleman and his death is a total waste. He was a very fit man for his age and still drove a car.

"He liked to keep busy and wasn't one for putting his feet up. He was always in the shop and was a big help to me. Although he lives at the other side of the city everyone around here knew him.

"My dad was as fit as a fiddle and we never expected him to be taken from us like this, it's not as if he was being mugged, it's just a tragic waste of a life.

"I have had to explain to my customers what has happened and they cannot believe he has died over a packet of cigarettes.

"My mum Dorothy, is 82, and she helps out in the shop sometimes. Obviously she is devastated and cannot believe what has happened."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=484985&in_page_id=1770


No comments: