Monday, 27 August 2007

LONDON: Family in shock after killing over a chocolate bar

Family in shock after killing over a chocolate bar

A CRAZED litter lout has tossed cops a clue after lob-bing a half-eaten Lion Bar at a man - seconds before he and an accomplice gave him a fatal beating.

Police forensics are now examining the sweet for DNA evidence after it was found at the scene of the brutal attack in Crystal Palace.

University graduate Evren Anil was left for dead by two knife-wielding yobs who punched him in the face in broad daylight.

The brave 23-year-old had got out of his sister·s car and stood up to the hoodies when they chucked a chocolate bar through his car window.

But when they pulled out a blade and held it to Mr Anil·s throat he tried to get away,only to be smashed to the floor receiving fatal head injuries.

Straight-A student Mr Anil - who had just been awarded a first class honours degree - died on Monday night after eight days fighting for his life at King·s College Hospital, Denmark Hill.

Today his grieving family ask: "Was it worth killing him over a chocolate bar?"

Older brother Ozgur, 32, speaking from the family home in Hancock Road, Upper Norwood, said: "We want the whole world to hear about this.

"A talented and loving young man who had so much to give to others has died over a chocolate bar. People need to understand what has happened."

Paying tribute to his brother, a devoted Muslim and prize-winning student at Kingston University, eldest brother Bulent, 33, said: "He was such a kind guy who would never hurt anyone.

"We are in so much agony at the moment. He was not just a brother to us, he was also a friend."

The attack happened at traffic lights around midday on August 5 at the junction of Central Hill and Gipsy Hill - just 50 metres from Gypsy Hill Police Station.

Sister Elif, 26, described the fatal incident. She said: "As soon as he spoke to them, one of the hoodies showed his knife. He said 'do you want this?'· to my brother.·

"An elderly passer-by tried to intervene but he was threatened by one of the teenage thugs. He (the teenager) said, 'if do you not get out of the way I will kill you too'.

"My brother was punched in the face and then he fell straight on his head, that injury was the fatal blow."

Evren lay stunned on the ground for about five minutes and when he got up began complaining of feeling sick.

Elif added: "He said 'My head hurts, my chest hurts'."

Murder squad detective Detective Chief Inspector Cliff Lyons called on the community to help snare his killer.

He added: "People have come forward, but I now know for certain there are people who witnessed this incident who haven·t come forward."

Five men have been arrested in connection with the murder and have been bailed to return to a South London police station pending further enquiries.

* Anyone with information should contact the incident room on 020 8721 4205 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

No comments: