Wednesday 19 September 2007

LEWES/SUSSEX: Have-a-go hero beaten by yobs

Have-a-go hero beaten by yobs


A 51-YEAR-OLD man was beaten by a gang of Heathfield teenagers when he complained about the noise they were making.
Horam-based engineer Alan Garrard visited his girlfriend in the High Street.

Just before midnight on September 1 up to 20 youths started screaming outside.

Mr Garrard and his partner shouted from a window, asking them to stop.
But the yobs didn't listen so Mr Garrard went into the street and was attacked by the group.

Speaking to the Express, he said: 'I don't remember a great deal about it, it's all bit of a blur.

'The kids were shouting, screaming, and kicking cans and bottles down the road.

'When I went downstairs three of them jumped on my back and I got a black eye and broken teeth.'

Mr Garrard did remember talking to police and showing them a pool of his blood on the floor.

Paramedics took him to Eastbourne District General Hospital where he discharged himself because it was busy.

He added: 'I discharged myself because it was a madhouse in there and I returned on the Monday.

'I am now undergoing treatment for nerve damage as I have no sensation in my lip or the side of my face.'

Mr Garrard said teenagers had caused problems in the street before, smashing shop windows, but it was the first time he had been attacked by the youths.

He said: 'I wasn't scared, I don't do scared.

'There need to be security cameras down the High Street.

'It is something that should be sorted out.'

PC Andrew Smith is looking for witnesses to help police investigate the attack.

He said: 'We have arrested and released on bail one 17-year-old youth, pending further inquiries.'

If you saw the attack contact PC Smith at Uckfield Police.

http://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/Haveago-hero-beaten-by-yobs.3210422.jp

No comments: